Some History

Swipe left or right to view images.

In 1892 his Grace The Duke of Richmond and Gordon agreed to a minimal rent for four parks to the newly formed Huntly Golf Club.

Minutes show that Old Tom Morris, golfer and celebrated St Andrew’s Keeper of the greens agreed to travel north, when the weather permitted, to advise the laying out of the course.
At this time the course was laid out as a 9 hole course.
With the onset of WW1 the course was put under cultivation and golf did not resume until the summer of 1923.

In 1937 the members voted to extend the course to 18 holes and 13 months after the first sod was cut the new 18 hole course was formally opened by Mr H.R. Spence in April 1938. A match between the Captain’s team and the Vice Captain’s team took place, 36 gentlemen and 16 ladies participating.
Following the opening of the 18holes the committee decided it would be fitting for Huntly GC to host an ‘Open Tournament’.

It was unfortunate that in 1940, so soon after the course was extended that it had to be reduced back to 9 holes during WW2 with half the acreage being let out to grazing.

It wasn’t until 1952 that golf was allowed on Sunday’s.

After the A.G.M. In 1965 it was decided, after taking advice from Mr John Campbell, Links Supervisor of St Andrews to extend the course.

After an elapse of 26 years on the 14th October 1966, Huntly Golf Club once again returned to an 18 hole course.

Members of Huntly who went on to join the Professional ranks, David Ingram, John and David Chillas and Ian Rae.
David Ingram became professional at Dalmahoy G.C. Where John Chillas joined him as his assistant and after one year, John left to play on the European Tour Circuit as did his younger brother David.

In 1981 it was felt that at the speed which Huntly GC was growing, it was time for the Club to actually own their course. It wasn’t until May 1987 that golf course passed to the ownership of Huntly Golf Club.

The “Old Clubhouse” which saw many alterations and extensions over the years and finally after many meetings and fund raising the new Clubhouse was open on 30th April 1988.